US warns Sudan's RSF-backed constitution risks deepening conflict
Africa
By
David Njaaga and Agencies
| Mar 05, 2025
The United States has expressed concern over Sudan's Rapid Support Forces (RSF) and allied groups signing a transitional constitution, warning the move risks further instability and the country's de facto partition.
The U.S. Bureau of African Affairs said on Wednesday, March 5, that attempts to form a parallel government are "unhelpful for peace and security" in Sudan.
The RSF and its allies signed the constitution on Tuesday, taking a step closer to establishing a separate administration during a two-year war with the army that threatens to divide the country.
The charter proposes a federal, secular state divided into eight regions and grants regions the right to self-determination if certain conditions, including separation of religion and state, are not met.
The paramilitary group, which has faced setbacks in recent months, carried out a long-range drone attack on Sudan's largest power generation station at Merowe Dam on Tuesday, knocking out electricity across parts of northern Sudan, the army said.
READ MORE
AI-driven cyber threats rise amid global skills shortage
How Sh27.8b project is revamping informal settlements in urban areas
Equity Q1 net profit up 24pc to Sh18.3b on regional units
KCB Q1 net earnings hit Sh17.8b to join rivals in defying tough times
Centum Re begins handover of 400 apartments at Nairobi's Two Rivers
Epra makes marginal hike on pipeline tariff, piles pressure on consumers
ICPAK urges accountants to restore trust in public institutions
Alarm raised over lagging decarbonisation in construction industry
Retail investors can now own a piece of mega infrastructure projects through NSE
Why AI is gaining prominence in Africa's new investment agenda
The army reported gains in Sharg el-Nil as it sought to encircle the group in the capital, Khartoum.
The constitution aims to supplant a charter signed after the army and RSF ousted former President Omar al-Bashir in 2019.
The two factions jointly staged a coup in 2021, halting a transition towards civilian rule. In April 2023, plans for a renewed transition triggered the current conflict.
Late last month, the RSF and its allies agreed in principle to form a government for a "New Sudan" as they sought to challenge the army-led administration and secure advanced weapons imports.
The document, seen by AFP, was signed by 24 parties, including RSF deputy Abdel Rahim Daglo.
Kenya has faced criticism for hosting RSF leaders, prompting Sudan's army-aligned government to recall its ambassador in February.
Sudan's foreign ministry accused President William Ruto of pursuing personal and commercial interests with the militia's regional backers.